Monday, April 21, 2014

Sunshine state. Sort of.

After I had fished for a while, with only one strike from a sea trout, I headed back to make dinner at my camp at fort Pickens.  During which a bunch of teenage kids pulled into the spot next to me.  The tent site there was pretty moist already and they began to set up their tents.   The kids soon realized that one of the tents they brought did not have poles in the bag.  Realizing their predicament I offered up the eureka two person tent that I had brought with me for emergencies.  They were thankful and took up the offer, I helped them set it up. 

Well around eight pm it began to ran...  We had a stellar thunderstorm to start off the night, with some less than a second boomers!   Then it just started down pouring.   And kept raining.  Since it wasn't very windy and the sheer volume of rain coming down, it started collecting on my roof.  Every two hours I was using my feet to pick up the ceiling of the tent and dump out the water.  I was staying fairly dry in the middle of the tent but then the wind started.   I had closed all the windows but by this time every thing was saturated.  I peeked out my window around 7am to see that the teenagers site had about twelve inches of water in it.  Both tents, including mine were collapsed and under water.   They had all retreated to their vehicles, undoubtably waiting for a break in the weather as I was in the tent atop my truck.   I stayed in my 3'x3' space of dryness reading my book and checking the radar regularly.  Around ten the kids packed and split, leaving my tent in a huge wet ball underneath my truck.   I needed to be out by noon and around eleven I decided to pack up in the rain.  It was still pouring seventeen hours after it had begun and I packed up everything soaking wet.  I hopped in the showers then started off the island. 

Kind of a poor pic but you can see the tempest, which had also left about eight inches of standing water on the road for about three miles.  My bicycle was not happy after that salty event.  

I had to decided it wise to head straight for my good buddy pattys place in talahassee. He is down there completing his masters at Florida state, and kindly offered his warm, dry, home to me for the holiday weekend.  

When I arrived I took everything wet out of the truck and set it out dry.  The worst parts were the foam mattress pads from the tent camper.  Everything else dried quickly.   

We set out that night to a fine establishment called bull winkles.  Where you pay ten bucks, they give you a cup, and then drink all you want.   I really think this needs to catch on every where. After too many G&Ts we headed to the local late night food spot and got a "box", which consisted of chicken fingers, Texas toast, special sauce, and cole slaw, simply amazing.  

The next day patty took me on a tour of the campus. It was a beautiful place!  

The tour took me to the football stadium as well.  


After which we spent a few drooling over the women's doubles sand volley ball tourney taking place and patty took me through his lab where all the magic happens.  

That night we hit up a local music festival, played bocci, drank a deadly tequila drink, and got another "box" to finish off the evening.  

As you can expect Sunday was spent doing nothing but recuperating.  Well and drinking bloodies, mimosas, and watching lots of hockey and movies. 

Thank you so much patty for the hospitality!!  I had a blast there and hope to visit again soon.  

I left this morning and decided to head due east towards Jacksonville.  When I was about seven, dad, Todd, and I drove down to Florida for spring break; one of the places we camped at was a state park called fort clinch right on the Georgia/Florida border.   I set my sights on this.   

My phone gave me the option of taking 95 north out of Jackson or a1a along the coast.   I took the coast.  I stopped at food truck along the way and the server told me it was one on the top ten beautiful drives in Florida.  She was right. 

Diving in and out of tree covered roads you received glances of the ocean.  It was a perfect day as well which just added to the magnificence.   

I arrived at fort clinch, got a camp site, then headed to the beach to have a few beers in the sun and waves.  

The change in weather was much appreciated.   After staying an hour on the beach I went to go set up my tent which was on the river side.  I also set up my fly rod in hopes of maybe catching a fish.  I walked out to the backside beach and noticed the tide was fiercely going out.  Signs littered the beach warning of currents.   I tossed a few out with no luck and just decided to wander for a bit.  I 
Then headed back to return here for sunset.  

I planned to take out my bike, since it needed some cleaning and maintenance, then use that to check out the fort and view the sunset.  
 
Didn't take long and I was out on the trails.  I stopped off at fort clinch and instantly remembered it from when I was a child. 

Then I watched the sunset with some yuengling and passer by dolphins.  

This pic reminded me of home. 

Well that's it for the evening.  My tentative plans now are to head up the coast and jump over to the outer banks.  But my plans change hourly haha.  

1 comment:

  1. I think we camped there in April 1997, because I remember us watching comet Hale-Bopp while we there -- see here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Hale%E2%80%93Bopp

    I also camped there in 1977 when I was traveling in my splitty bus with the Force 5 sailboat on the roof, very much like your background pic. Mr. Hart and I camped there on our bike trip in 1976 as well, that's a very nice park.

    ReplyDelete