Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Eastern Utah

I awoke Monday morning to a wee bit of frost, not to my surprise the tent stayed relatively warm!  I decided to suit up and hit the river for an hour before I departed.  A few more fish were to be had but it was time to ramble on. 

I travelled a dirt road that followed the strawberry river from the pinnacles all the way to starvation resevoir.   At this point I was torn between heading straight to section b of the green river or head to a spot in far north eastern Utah.    I opted for the latter... And I did not choose poorly!  

On the way to this spot you head high up on large plateau from where you can see clear into the uintas.  It was a bit cold and desolate atop this plateau and I did fear it might be a cold night.  A 10% grade sign signaled the dive into the canyon where the spot was hidden.   What a magnificent canyon it was.  Here is a view from the top. 

After quite a few miles of descending you reach the end of the road, a national fish hatchery, set at the spring that feeds the creek.  I arrived around one, put on my waders, and set out to hike down the canyon to find some fish.    There was a plethora.  It was a small stream enormous cliff walks everywhere you looked.  The water was super clear and it only took about ten seconds for me to spot fish.  And they were big!   Nice size rainbows filled every eddy and rock tail.  All were hitting the surface and after about 3 casts I hooked in my first bow. 


Beautiful fish every where I looked!   I would toss a fly behind a rock and BAM, fish on!!  I fished for a few hours until the sun was long disappeared behind the canyon walls then headed up to find a place to camp.   There is a great primitive camp site ten feet in front of the no camping sign so I dove in.  

My first fire of the trip, wood compliments of the previous dwellers.  Nothing like a beer and warm sphagettios roasting on an open fire!  The night was calm and the whole area silent.  Just a few rabbits running around.   I climbed into my tent and spent the night reading max brooks Zombie Survival guide and fiddling around with the wind up am/fm/weather radio mom got me for Christmas.  The canyon walls prohibited any sane type of broadcast and the only chatter on the small green box that I could find was the Glenn beck show on fox radio...  So I went back to reading in silence.  

My posts will most likely all be a day late. So far I have been out of service a lot.  So tomorrow I plan on posting about today's adventure, just to keep ya on your toes here is a teaser. 

Wow big surprise Scott, you are at another river...

No comments:

Post a Comment