Sunday, April 27, 2014

East coast

I apologize for the long gap between posts.  I have almost zero perception of time, and I love it.  

I left Florida and headed up the east coast.  I had my sites on the outer banks but knew I needed a stop inbetween.  This ended up being myrtle beach...  There was a state park just south of the main drag and I settled there in a primitive camp site.   

The tent attracted a lot of attention here and I ended up talking to a Canadian fellow for quite a bit and he invited me to his camp fire.   Apparently alcohol is forbidden in any SC state park, so I funneled my yuenglings into an empty Arizona ice tea can I had then headed over.  He was from perry sound Ontario and was an avid sailor/kayaker.   We swapped stories a bit then with the start of some rain I headed back to my site.  

The next day I headed straight up the coast.   I had never realized how many small rivers dumped into the Atlantic along here.   Each bridge I passed I felt the urge to hope in a boat and explore.  Unfortunately that wasn't an option for me. 

When venturing from the south to the outer banks you have to take a two and half hour ferry from cedar island to okarakoke island.  Since this was not peek season, ferrys were spaced out three hours apart.  I arrived right after the ferry departed so I had some time to kill.  I put my 8wt rod together and tried to fish.  This turned out to be a bust so I just explored the beach.  

Finally the ferry arrived and I headed back to the truck.  

On the ferry! 

You can really see my elegant gorilla tape job I did on the cover.   It's held up since Texas! 

On the ferry I met a very nice couple from California, out on the open road, exploring the same as I.   The husband was not only an avid VW fan but also a past 356 owner!  

The ferry schedule really through me off and I arrived at Frisco state park around 9pm and set up camp.  This park is located right in the sand dunes on the ocean side of hatteras.  

Morning brought a stiff breeze and the unmistakeable smell of ocean to my tent.  I took the mountain bike out early in search of a diner since I was craving a big hardy breakfast.   To my surprise none were open.  I guess it still wasn't "in" season yet.  

I headed to the beach!   I do like the ocean, but only in moderation.  Many things can dealt pain and or kill you in it and I always think there may be a tsunami on the horizon.   All things I never worried about on my body of water growing up.   But the smell, the constant surf, and endless beaches really appeal to me.  

After some exploring on the beach I was able to play on some boards! 

The water was not a bad temp at all. There were also numerous dolphins swimming just past the break.  

That night, numerous beers on the beach and a literally, stellar night sky, capped off a great outer banks visit.  

The next morning I got in contact with my old buddy Travis, who used to stay at our cottages, and had breakfast with him in kittyhawk nc.   

I B lined it for central virginia after that.  I had heard there were some fish in the mountains along the blue ridge parkway. On the way I went through some very nasty thunder/hail storms, and after seeing multiple tornado warnings I thought it wise to hotel it that night.   I found myself in Lynchburg VA.  I found a hotel near downtown and since it was Friday night I'd hoped to indulge in some night life there.  I met a few college kids from California at my hotel, they were there for a wedding the next day and in the same boat as myself for the evening. They kindly let me tag along with them to the TWO bars in town...  Needless to say if you are looking to get rowdy at some bars in central VA, skip Lynchburg.  None the less it was a fun night and I made some new friends!  I also got to sleep in a bed and have a hot shower!   

The next day was beautiful and I headed into the mountains.   This part of the country is just beautiful and to my surprise still a bit wild.  I stopped at a parking area for the Appalachian trail to check out the Tye river.   It was a stunning river but nearly void of fish!   Also completed about one hundred yards of the Appalachian trail!  
 

It was the first time in a week I got to put my waders on, so I was happy about that.  

I talked to some fishermen further up stream who informed me that pretty much the time to catch is right after they stock it because most people keep the fish and there are literally almost none left.  They did give me a suggestion to try out the Piney river that had small native brook trout in it. They gave me directions and I was off.  The first turn was a bit discouraging. 

But then I got into the mountains.  The houses started disappearing, the river ran right along the road, and numerous primitive camping sites could be found all around. 


I picked one site way up stream and started to explore.  

With in five minutes I had hooked in a beautiful native brook trout! 

They got a bit larger

And a bit smaller. 

It was all on drys.  And you had to be quite a bit sneaky.   I had a blast catching these fish til night fall.  

I made one the MREs my roommate mike gave me and was spoiled with the desert.

Delish.  

The next morning I headed up and over the mountain towards the blue ridge park way.  The single lane dirt road I was on switch backed up and down the mountain.   Following a small stream that had an epic falls.  



I fished a bit in the area then got on highway 60 heading west.  I crossed under the blue ridge parkway and followed the road to rt81.  This descent on highway 60 was amazing and if you like banked twisty roads like I do, search this one out.

Next I hit the Jackson river, north of Covington VA.  While there I chatted it up with a few fishing guides who were fishing on their day off.  I asked about other va rivers to hit and potential West Virginia rivers.  Both guides told me to skip WV and head south to the south holston  river in north eastern Tennessee. Having no real timeline, I shot for it.  

I will end it there for the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment