Monday, April 7, 2014

Head out on the highway

Enough putting it off... I departed!  Spent most of the gloomy Sunday travelling around salt lake saying my good byes.  It was a bleak afare since I had such a stellar time here in Utah.  Many adventures and great friends to boot!!  But now it was time for the next chapter.  

I had a late start because my first stop was only two hours away, a place called the strawberry pinnacles.  Lisa, mark, and I had camped in this area last fall. A beautiful and desolate canyon holding within it the strawberry river.

Last time we were here we caught few fish but the scenery and solidarity was worth it.  I arrived at a spot farther up stream then I had been before and set up camp for the first time. 

I have gotten the tent sent up on lock down and it only took about ten minutes to be all said and done.  

The river is right next to my camp and the sound of the rushing water got me giddy, so I promptly set up my blue halo rod and threw on my waders.  Not a thing hitting the surface so I tossed in a wooly bugger.  I promptly got a huge hit and fish on!! Unfortunately I had very light tippet and after about 30 seconds I lost the fish.    After that I went to a dry dropper with a custom version of Lisas' own little red riding hood in brown.  After a few casts I had a fish landed!  Things are looking up! 

With in 30 minutes I had 5 fish landed!  

This river holds some beautiful browns.  All mine were around 16".  

Around seven the sun had disappeared behind the canyon walls I decided to call it for the day.   I walked back to the truck and cracked open a beer.  


Here is a view of my living room for the next few weeks.   Not a bad setup. 

So the first day is officially in the books!  Spirits are high!  Next stop, who knows. 

2 comments:

  1. Scotty boy. You're making a solid case for me to quit my job, sell my house, pack up the truck and go where the wind blows.

    ReplyDelete