Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rack attack

The next step for my new tent was installing it on the roof.  This tent had mounts for Thule bars, it just so happens that I brought my Thule rack from my blue jetta out to Utah.   So the bars were covered.   Not the dilemma was attaching it to the truck cap.   I visited our local rack shop and for a pair of flat mount Thule feet it was $250!!!!!!   I needed two pairs.... Yehhhhh right.  So I decided to build my own using the existing rail on the truck cap.  
It wasn't easy lining up all the holes using a power drill and  not a proper drill press but I did it. Everything lined up and fit together!   Next step, throw that tent on the roof!!!

Loaded up!!  I tightened everything down, grabbed the Thule bars and did a pretty rigorous earthquake test.  No movement in the rack or flex in the cap!  Now it was time to try it out. 
The ladder needs a bit of work but everything work perfectly! 

Tons of room in her too!!!   Dad called it my penthouse suite! 

Sometime in the next few weeks I will be taking a test run trip up to Idaho or southern Utah and will update on how she works! 

No comments:

Post a Comment