Friday, February 21, 2014

New slumber hut

The past few weeks I have been scouring KSL for a new sleeping pad for the trip.  I had a really nice Big Agnus insulated pad that had sprung a leak.  I spent a good hour in our bathtub with soapy water trying to find the leak with no luck.  So the search went on for a cheap used sleeping pad.  

Well I awoke one morning and checked the camping classifieds as I usually do and hit the jackpot!!  A insanely cheap roof top tent was just put up.  This was not an item I had planned on purchasing for the trip since they are normally close to $1000 and my 2 man $30 Kelty dome tent worked just fine.  None the less I immediately called the guy and shot over to his place to check it out.   Now buying things on classifieds is always an adventure.  You never know who the people are, if you might wind up in an ice tub missing your kidney, or just a face on a milk carton.  This was nothing like that, I was greeted by a very jolly fella with a huge red beard.  His hand stuck out for a hand shake while the other shot my way offering an ice cold bud light!   This is very rare for Utah, especially at 10am!  It seemed only polite to accept the beverage and it 'twas the morning after my birthday so a retox was much ablidged.  

Back to the tent... I bought it!  Now I tried to explain to my mom what a roof to tent or RTT was.  Not the easiest thing to do.  So let me add a demonstration pic. 
It's a tent that folds up on your roof and when you want to use it you take the cover off and flip it out and you are done.  You can keep all your pillows and blankets in it.  Plus it has a built in sleeping pad!  Boom, problem solved!!!  Now of course I bought this super cheap and for good reason.  She had been rode hard, but thankfully not put away wet.  The outside appearance would have scared away the majority of bargain hunters, but when opened up the tent and interior were hardly used!  

So onto the next fun part... I will be building Thule feet to fit this onto the roof of my truck cap.  It should be a fun little project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment