Monday, February 24, 2014

Family time

This past week mom and dad flew out here for a little vacation.  They did this last year, and during visited Moab, Canyonlands, and Arches national parks.  This year they did a few hikes in Zion and Bryce Canyon.   

One of my goals this year when they visited was to get my dad out flyfishing.  I am pretty sure it had been Atleast 20 years since he had tried to fish for trout on a flyrod.   I had Presidents' Day off and mom wanted to go skiing and thought it would be a good idea for me to take dad out on the water, since he was terribly sick of snow and skiing was not a priority for him.  I borrowed my roommates hunting waders for him, set up my rlwinston rod, and put together a small fly box for him with the essentials.  I was hoping we would be able to land some on drys and not resort to nymphing and we were not dissappointed!  I advised him to put start with a sz22 dry since I did see a few risers.  Well it wasn't 10 minutes and dad landed a nice healthy Provo river brown!!

As you can see he was pretty excited.  We proceeded to walk up stream and found a stellar section of flat water with lots of risers and fins swimming about.  There we each landed a few more fish.  Including the largest brown my dad had ever caught. 

All in all it was a great day!  Lots of fish!  Hopefully when I am back east I will be able to convince pops to do some flyfishing with me around NY.  


No comments:

Post a Comment